Unions postpone Tube strikes following progressive discussions
Many London commuters will be pleased to hear that two 24-hour Tube strikes that were expected to take place this week have been called off.
The decision to not go through with the strikes was made after there was progress during discussions between unions and London Underground (LU) managers.
Tube drivers have been in conflict with LU over the new all-night tube service that is set to begin this september.
However, the RMT, Unite and TSSA unions have all stated that unless a new deal is struck, strikes would still go ahead on 8 and 10 September.
This week’s strikes were postponed as a “gesture of goodwill” following “constructive” talks with London Underground officials, Unite said, via The Independent.
The Tube drivers walking out on Wednesday and Friday would have been the third round of strikes this summer, following the actions on 8-9 July and 5-6 August.
Mick Cash, the RMT general secretary, said: “Our negotiators have been able to make enough significant progress in talks at Acas over pay, jobs and night Tube to allow us to suspend this week’s strike dates.
“We have still not reached a final agreement and as a result we are putting on additional strike action next month. In the meantime, the talks process will continue.
“I want to pay tribute to the union members who have remained united and rock solid throughout this dispute. It is their determination which forced LU to begin talking seriously and which has enabled us to make the progress that we have so far.”
Hugh Roberts, Unite’s regional officer, added: “There are still some remaining sticking points, but we feel sufficient progress has been made to suspend industrial action as an act of goodwill. We will continue to approach talks with London Underground in a positive manner.”
Looking to promote your product/service to SME businesses in your region? Find out how Bdaily can help →
Enjoy the read? Get Bdaily delivered.
Sign up to receive our popular morning London email for free.